All of us are engaged daily in the process of looking for information on the Internet, or “searching“. Sometimes, we search for clarification, facts, confirmation, projects, solutions, while other times our searches help us broaden our views, come to terms with a concept, make a plan, find a definition, or cross check a fact. Watch yourself or a friend at your next social function. Someone is bound to pull out their portable digital device (phone, tablet and/or computer) before long to make sure something that was said is correct. They might look up an actor, a city, an album, a song, a title, or an author. This is now part of our daily digital diet: a quick hop onto our device and off into the Internet to “search” for information.
- 51 million – Number of websites added during the year.
- 1.2 trillion Number of searches on Google in 2012.
- 43,339,547 gigabytes are sent across all mobile phones globally everyday.
- Humankind in 2007 successfully sent 1.9 zettabytes of information through broadcast technology such as televisions and GPS. That’s equivalent to every person in the world reading 174 newspapers every day.
- There are 5 million tweets per day enough to fill New York Times for 19 years.
- Humankind shared 65 exabytes of information through two-way telecommunications in 2007
That’s the equivalent of every person in the world communicating the contents of six newspapers every day
- 58 – Number of photos uploaded every second to Instagram.
- 5 billion – How many times per day the +1 button on Google+ is used
- 1.3 exabytes – Estimated global mobile data traffic per month in 2012.
- Bloggers post 900,000 new articles everyday.
- Over 210 billion emails are sent daily which is more than a whole year worth of letter mail in the USA.
- Daily around 200 000 videos are uploaded on youtube which will require over 600 years to view them all.
(Source: Economist The World 2013 and Internet 2012 in numbers by Tech Blog Pingdom and Science Daily: How Much Information Is There in the World? Feb. 11, 2011)
Information grows from Terabyte to Petabyte . As a human race, we cannot actually view, analyze, or keep track of all the information we generate without third party digital tools and softwares. We now defer to sophisticated algorithms and intelligent softwares to store, track, synthesis, analysis, aggregate, and deliver information in amounts we have the time and capacity to digest. And most of us today expect to have this information available non-stop, over multiple devices.
Information overload, information stress, information pollution and information anxiety are part of the narrative of the digital age. With the amount of information increasing at accelerated speeds, we have relinquished any control we once had over its exponential growth. What we need to do is develop strategies, skills and understanding on how to filter, sift, analyze and juggle information, so we feel some level of control.
As we embed ourselves in this vast information landscape and wish to remain critical thinkers, we need to be ready to retool ourselves:
- Coming to terms with the “Filter Bubble“ : this is where information is processed and delivered through algorithms based on what our viewing and search habits are, thus filtering information to our perspectives and not providing alternative views and information. The balance of information is vital to building a broad understanding of different views. Nowadays however, through the “Filter Bubble“, this balance is being diluted. We need to understand this and be able to counter it as critical thinkers.
- Developing a strong searching expertise: We need to understand the capacity of search engine tools, their variables, and limitations so we can refine and sift information in a manner which gives us manageable amounts of results.
- Be able to Aggregate: Learn how to leverage news aggregators, real time syndication, social media, micro blogging, and social bookmarking sites. These tools can help in sorting different formats, cull large amounts of information and deliver it in digestible portions for us to develop new capacities.
- Engage in Connectivism: A learning theory constructed on the idea we can learn with digital, social and cultural connections, and from this interchange build individual and/or collective capacity to gain knowledge and understanding. Through our social and professional connections create networks of expertise, knowledge, and understanding to support learning. Use the “cognitive surplus” we have available in our social and professional groups to increase our own knowledge so we can create, communicate, produce and share effectively as critical thinkers.
- “Learn, unlearn and relearn“: We need to develop the strategies and methodologies that allow us to engage effectively in this process of “learning, unlearning and relearning” daily. In tandem, we need to ensure that everyone has the opportunity, support and resources to do this.
From this point forward, there is not going to be any less information – that is a fact. As the world moves into a state of constant change, and the pace accelerates, we have a responsibility to ourselves, our peers and our communities to make the process of learning, unlearning and relearning permanent. If we do not, we could potentially lose our ability to participate as critical thinkers and control the information landscape we live in.
35 thoughts on “There is a needle in the haystack, Ground Control.”
Have you ever thought about including a little bit more than just your articles?
I mean, what you say is important and everything.
Nevertheless think about if you added some great photos or videos to
give your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but
with pics and video clips, this site could undeniably be
one of the most beneficial in its field. Good blog!
Its like you read my thoughts! You seem to understand
a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something.
I feel that you simply can do with a few % to drive the message house a
bit, but other than that, that is fantastic blog.
A fantastic read. I’ll definitely be back.
This blog was… how do you say it? Relevant!!
Finally I have found something that helped me. Thaznks a lot!
We need to develop the strategies and methodologies that allow us to engage effectively in this process of “learning, unlearning and relearning” daily.
I would like to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this blog.
I’m hoping to check out the same high-grade blog posts by you in the future as well.
In truth, your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get
my own, personal blog now 😉
certainly like your web site but you have to check the spelling on several of your
posts. Many of them are rife with spelling issues and I to find it very troublesome to inform the reality
then again I will certainly come back again.
Hello just wanted to give you a quick heads up.
The text in your post seem to be running off the screen in Safari.
I’m not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with browser compatibility but I thought I’d post to let you know.
The design look great though! Hope you get the problem resolved
Hi everybody, here every one is sharing these kinds of knowledge,
therefore it’s nice to read this webpage, and I used to pay a quick visit this blog daily.
Good day! Would you mind if I share your blog with my facebook
group? There’s a lot of folks that I think would really appreciate your content.
Please let me know. Thank you
yes of course happy to share out
What’s up, I want to subscribe for this webpage to take newest updates,
therefore where can i do it please help.
you can drop your email address on the email subscription link on the main blog page, thanks
You’re so awesome! I don’t think I have read through
a single thing like that before. So wonderful to discover somebody with a few unique thoughts on this issue.
Really.. many thanks for starting this up. This website is something that is needed
on the internet, someone with a little originality!
Hi there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it is truly informative.
I’m going to watch out for brussels. I’ll be grateful if you continue
this in future. Many people will be benefited from
your writing. Cheers!
Heya i’m for the primary time here. I found this board and I find It really helpful & it helped me out much.
I’m hoping to offer something again and aid others like you aided
Excellent post. I certainly appreciate this website.
Continue the good work!
Greetings from Colorado! I’m bored at work so
I decided to browse your site on my iphone during lunch break.
I love the information you provide here and can’t wait to
take a look when I get home. I’m surprised at
how fast your blog loaded on my mobile .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G ..
Anyways, amazing site!
It’s going to be ending of mine day, however before finish
I am reading this great piece of writing to increase my know-how.
Hello there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it’s truly informative.
I am going to watch out for brussels. I wjll appreciate if you continue this in future.
Numerous people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!
Thankjs for finally talking about >There is a needle in the haystack,
Ground Control. | Beyyond Digital <Loved it!
Having read this I thought it was really enlightening.I appreciate you taking
the time and effort to put this short article together.
I once again find myself personally spending way too much time both reading
and postikng comments. But so what, it was still worth it!
Hey there! I’ve been following your site for some time now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give
you a shout out from Porter Tx! Just wanted to tell you keep up the excellent work!
I have read several good sttuff here. Certainly worth bookmarking for revisiting.
I wonder how so much effort you set to create
any such wonderful informative site.
A fascinating discussion is worth comment. I think that you
ought to publish more about this topic, it may not be a taboo subject but generally people don’t speak about these
subjects. To the next! Best wishes!!
I blog quite often and I genuinely thank you for your content.
Your article has truly peaked my interest. I am going to take a note
of your site and keep checking for new information about once a
week. I opted in for your Feed too.
Hmm it seems like your blog ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess
I’ll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.
I as well am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still
new to everything. Do you have any recommendations for beginner
blog writers? I’d certainly appreciate it.
Howdy! This post couldn’t be written much better! Looking at this post reminds me of my previous roommate!
He always kept preaching about this. I most certainly will send this post to
him. Fairly certain he’ll have a good read. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks designed for sharing sսch a good opinion, piece of writfing is nice,
thats whʏ i have read іt fully
I really like what you guys tend to be up too.
This type of clever work and coverage! Keep up thee amazing works guys I’ve added you guys to
my personal blogroll.
This is a good tip especially to those new to the blogosphere.
Brief but very accurate info… Thanks for sharing this one.
A must read post!
We stumbled over here from a different web
address and thought I might as well check things out. I like what I see so now i’m following you.
Look forward to exploring your web page repeatedly.
Hi I am so grateful I found your webpage, I really found you by mistake, while I was browsing on Yahoo for something else,
Regardless I am here now and would just like to say
many thanks for a remarkable post and a all round thrilling blog (I
also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read through it all at the minute but I have saved it and
also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time
I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the awesome work.
I blog often and I truly thank you for your information. Your article has truly peaked my interest.
I will take a note of your blog and keep checking for new details about once per week.
I opted in for your RSS feed too.
Simply want to say your article is as astonishing. The
clarity in your submit is simply nice and i can think you’re a professional in this subject.
Finne together with your permission allow me to clutch your RSS feed to stay updated with approaching post.
Thank you 1,000,000 and please carry on the enjoyable work.
Good answers in return of this difficulty with firm arguments and describing the whole thing regarding